DISES
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly

+4
spefaith
Mizu
jacque
Tom Gumpel
8 posters

Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty Question #1 for the Representative Assembly

Post  Tom Gumpel Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:17 am

1. How can CEC best foster mutual understanding and reciprocal partnerships internationally?

Tom Gumpel

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty Question 1: Partnerships

Post  jacque Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:32 pm

Put some pictures in our journal. Less research and more real people and real stories and real pictures. Opportunities to go to schools to do research/training. Ideas for partnerships with classrooms/communities. Adopt-a-School. Serious service learning opportunities. Much more grassroots. Also, hook in with International School Services. Big opportunity to set up special education programs. But don't forget the villages and countries that are dangerous.

jacque

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty Question 1: Partnerships/Sister Programs

Post  Mizu Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Build a programs/Sister programs. Foster programs. Help grassroot programs get started. Find foundations in the International school system, then when a new program begins, help them find a sister program, until the new one gets off its feet and continue the cycle. I agree with Jacque, don't forget about the villages/countries without the ISS.

Provide a forum for International educators to meet and exchange best practices, perhaps shadowing/training practices.
Mizu
Mizu

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty Partnerships

Post  spefaith Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 pm

I agree with Mitzu and Jacque about collaborating with other systems in other countries on topics such as ideas, practices and techniques. I have relatives in three other countries and when I visit, I would love to be able to observe some classroom settings or be able to discuss with other teachers and professionals.

spefaith

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty 1. How can CEC best foster mutual understanding and reciprocal partnerships internationally?

Post  beverlcl Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:29 am

Perhaps the first place to start is to begin to explore the different definitions or understandings that communities give to disabilities. We may be using the same terminology but the construct and context are very different. To first understand that we aren't using a global vocabulary is important. So the first step might be to provide opportuities to explore how exceptionalities, education and other services are conceptualized and operationalized around the world. This would involve immersion experiences lead by culturally competent faciliators, presentations, publications, etc. But it has to be more than a slice of the picture, it has to be more than a surface representation -the participants will have to work to understand their own expectations and norms as well as those of the other participants and countries/cultures visited. We have to be present as learner not as teacher or judge.

beverlcl

Registration date : 2009-03-12

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty question 1

Post  fdarwish1@hmc.org.qa Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:04 am

I totally agree with all the representatives, I think we need to work very hard to have clear findings concerning disabilities and how we can advocate for their rights; we need to improve the audience’s awareness towards people with disability, as I am from Arabian Gulf we are developing progressively in the part, CEC can provide the expertise, programs and the technologies and how we can make the adaptations which are suitable to Arab culture, CEC has to open new horizons with different countries, cultures, and languages to obtain highly active involvement

fdarwish1@hmc.org.qa

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-03-15

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty Re: Question #1 for the Representative Assembly

Post  eddiedenning Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:41 am

Tom Gumpel wrote:1. How can CEC best foster mutual understanding and reciprocal partnerships internationally?

In many ways, CEC is already fostering partnerships. I learned about it from a DISES newsletter that somehow got to me and a bit of correspondence with Clay. Has CEC ever set up a dialogue with the International Schools Association? I'm wondering if they set up programs for students with mild disabilities. I see there are lots of programs in places like India and the Phillipines. Also Europe. In the Arabian Gulf there are more and more centers popping up to serve students with special needs. The catch is that Arabic is the language of instruction. I do know that I see programs which are definitely not implementing best practices. There are some very good centers in Jordan and Egypt, but, once again. there is the language barrier. I've been lucky to find leaders in some of these institutions who are bilingual and we enoy comparing our services.

eddiedenning

Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty Q1

Post  lusalo Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:00 am

I think it's important for us to strengthen our division website by including more information about the international work many of our members do. We can also consider including information such as the schools that serve children with disabilities around the world.

lusalo

Registration date : 2009-03-06

Back to top Go down

Question #1 for the Representative Assembly Empty Re: Question #1 for the Representative Assembly

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down